Friday, December 25, 2009

Taking Initiative - Day 8

Before we could even leave to go to my uncle’s condominium we had to have the address to get there. Well, so my morning started off (as usual) with my family walking into the livingroom and talking but most especially my aunt yelling into the phone to my uncle. Somehow, because she is going blind it somehow makes her deaf as well… I thought your other senses were supposed to get better. It was decided that we all would shower and while I was in the shower they would call my uncle and get directions. And thus the waiting began…

They call everyone but my uncle’s condo didn’t have good signal so we couldn’t reach anyone. So, I got out of the shower and waited around, surfed the web, did the usual. About twenty minutes later, still no call. Everyone is bored and my aunt is playing with the ringers on her phone. My uncle calls and my aunt accidently hangs up on her. And that was it. My aunt and mom laughed about it for a bit and then go back to just sitting there. Are you freaking kidding me?!

“Are you going to call them back?” “Yeah, I guess we could.” “Well… do it.”

They try much to no avail. So, I pack up my laptop and join them on their sitting fest. After thirty more minutes, I’m definitely tired of waiting, so I suggest calling them again or just driving and see what they say when they call. They weren’t too keen on the just driving idea but they did try calling again with no success.

“Well, does anyone know where they are staying?” “I think it’s Lake something… or something Lake.”

So, I pulled out my laptop (to the sounds of snide comments about having ‘withdrawals’) and do a Google search for ‘lake condominiums san antonio.’ Hmm… “Is it Canyon Lake?” “Yeah, that sounds familiar. I think that’s it!” What the heck?! This information would have been way useful about an hour ago… I told my mom to plug it into the GPS and let’s go. “You can’t just plug that into a GPS, I need a physical address.” “Well, have you tried…?”

Five minutes later we’re on the road to Canyon Lake. (Just in case I did look up an address for some condos and I told her to plug that in.)

*just a side rant* My mom put her GPS on silent because she could just look over and see it and didn’t need the lady telling her how to go. Well, this upsets my aunt because she thinks we’re lost and always turning down the wrong road and it makes my grandpa try to remember how to go and causes a big complain fest in the car.

About forty minutes later, my uncle finally calls and tells us how to get to where he’s staying. My aunt, still unable to talk at a reasonable level, is telling the rest of us what he’s saying: “He says go up I-35 and get off at exit 191… Yeah, that’s the way we are heading… Do you have a physical address that we can plug in?... Well, can you find one out?... Exit 191… Alright. He’s going to call us back when he has an address.”

So, we’re driving and she’s still worried we’re going the wrong way asking every 5 seconds if we know how to get to I-35 and to exit 191. So, finally, “The GPS is taking us to 191 so I think we’re fine!” (That was me…) After that no one said a word until my uncle called us back with an address which happened to be very close to address I had my mom put into the GPS.

The end of the story is we make it to the condo unharmed. The moral of the story: if you want something done, don’t just sit around and wait for it to happen; go out and make it happen! This trip is going to be the death of me.

No comments: