Friday, December 25, 2009

The Condo - Day 8 cont.

We got to my uncle’s condo to the joyous screams of children and one of them wasn’t even there. In fact, all of the guys (sans the two youngest) were out running errands. Thus began more sitting around and waiting for their return. My uncle’s wife and her mom wanted to visit some small town they passed through on the way here to go shopping but we had to wait for the guys to return in order to go. Forty-five or so minutes later they did and we packed up and headed out. It was only me, my mom, my uncle’s wife, and her mom: the least annoying combination I have experienced on this trip by far.

We went to some place called Gruene, Texas (I think it’s pronounced ‘green’ oddly enough). It was an extremely small town (I’m not sure there was even a stop light). It was cute though. Of course, we almost got lost on the way there because ‘Gruene, Texas’ was placed into the GPS and that’s all anyone pays attention to.

“Your destination is 0.5 miles ahead.” “This doesn’t look familiar.” “Where are we going?” “Gruene or something like that.” “We passed a sign for that about a mile ago. We were supposed to turn left at the light.” I’m pretty much a pro sign reader.

We arrive and it’s like the perfect little Christmas town. The streets have little shops on each side. It was pretty cute. Our first stop: The Winery. We look around a bit, do some wine tasting, and buy some wine. Mother bought me a watermelon flavored wine and the others got a peach flavored. They were both pretty good. Sadly enough, we discover that everything closed at 3pm. Since it was 3:20pm, we were all kind of bummed. We still walked around for a bit and discovered that a few shops were still open so we went in and looked around but ended up leaving the two before 4pm.

Dinner was served about an hour after we returned and I had my wine in a Solo cup. I know: I’m pretty classy. Not long after dinner I was conned into making the gingerbread house with my 10 year old cousin. Not like he really did much; I just did what he wanted. Even then he didn’t know what he wanted to do so I just kind of did something. I was calling it “The World’s Ugliest Gingerbread House,” but, in hindsight, I think I did a damned good job. 

I definitely needed a break from the 14 others inhabiting the livingroom, so I went outside to call Matt. We talked and complained about our respective families and days. Then, I decided to climb the mountain behind the condo. I really had nothing better to do. Sure, it was pretty dark, there were trees everywhere, and I couldn’t see anything, but it was definitely the most exciting thing I’ve done this whole trip. Matt was talking to me as I was ascending and every time I slipped he thought I was going to die. I thought I would probably die, too, but that’s what adds to the adventure. I really wanted to go to the top and the whole time it seemed like the top was just past the next set of trees, but it was really hard to climb with one ascend with one hand and my fingers were freezing over so I decided to head back down. Surely by now my family would wonder where I was.

“Oh, where did you go?” “I was climbing the mountain.” “I didn’t even know he had left…” Figures.

Here I am. I’m finally at Andrew’s place. I have a room to myself. I’ll be able to sleep in late (ish, the others are arrive at noon). And there is no internet. The gods are cursing me. Oh well. Tomorrow is Christmas so I guess instead of complaining I will make the most of my last days in Texas. Merry Christmas! :)

No comments: